If you're on the hunt for a new exercise bike, it can be tricky to know where to begin. From corrosion resistance to Bluetooth connectivity, there are many factors to consider — so how can you be sure you're making the best investment for your health?
The good news is we're here to help. Our team at Northern Fitness has chosen five of the most popular models on the market. In this handy guide, we'll explain the key pros and cons of each exercise bike, giving you the confidence to choose the right one for your needs.
When it comes to the best exercise bikes for 2021, we've got our foot on the pedal. Read on for our honest reviews of the IC3, IC4, M3i, Peloton, and S22i.
1. Schwinn IC3 Indoor Bike
Looking for an indoor spin bike on a budget? The Schwinn IC3 Bike is an excellent choice. This classic exercise bike has a 40 lb flywheel for ultimate stability, an infinitely variable resistance, and a range of console displays. These include your time, distance, heart rate, revolutions per minute (RPM), and calories.
With an adjustable race-style seat and handlebars, you can adapt the Schwinn IC3 to fit your exact specifications. It may be one of the most affordable bikes on the market, but it promises a high-level experience that's ideal for serious cyclists.
- Measures 45“ x 23” x 49”
- Steel frame
- 3 heavy-duty cranksets
- Ventilated seat
- 5 kHz wireless heart rate tracker
- Silent belt drive
- Adjustable grip positions
- Padded handlebars
- Generously sized water bottle holder
- Dual SPD pedals with toe cages or clips
- An integrated multi-media device holder
- 5-year warranty for the frame
- 2-year warranty for the mechanics & electrics
- Max user weight of 300 lb
- Affordable price
- Adjustable seat, handlebars, and grip positions
- Lightweight yet stable
- Partially assembled
- Bluetooth compatible console
- Very quiet during use
- Plastic-free design
- Corrosion-resistant frame
- Infinitely variable resistance
- IC3 friction pads may need replacing over time
Overall, the Schwinn IC3 indoor spin bike is an excellent option for people who want a reliable bike for under a thousand dollars. This bike is affordable without compromising on performance — and its compact size and silent belt drive make it a practical addition to your home gym.
2. Schwinn IC4 Indoor Bike
The Schwinn IC4 is a bit more expensive than the IC3, but you'll get a host of new features for your money. One of the best things about this indoor spin bike is that it's compatible with the Peloton, Zwift, and Explore the World apps. If you like to program your workouts but don't want a premium price tag, the IC4 a great option.
As well as its impressive Bluetooth connectivity, this bike features 100 micro-adjustable resistance levels for the perfect ride. An integrated device holder will keep your tablet or smartphone steady during your workout, while an LCD track can log your heart rate, time, distance, RPM, and calories.
- Measures 48.7” x 21.2” x 51.8”
- Lightweight (106 lb) and compact
- Max user weight of 330 lb
- Dual water bottle holder
- Extra-large, premium grip handlebars
- Dual-link pedals with toe cages or SPD clips
- LCD backlit computer console
- 2 × 3 lb weights included for upper body workouts
- Adjustable padded seat
- Adjustable grip positions
- Sweat-resistant handlebars
- 10-year warranty for the frame
- 3-year warranty for the mechanics & electrics
- Affordable alternative to Peloton
- Lightweight and quiet
- Adjustable seat, handlebars, and grip position
- 100 micro-adjustable resistance levels
- Compatible with the Peloton, Zwift, and Explore the World apps
- Can support 30 lb more than the IC3
- Small weights included in your purchase
- Padded seat makes for a comfortable ride
- Peloton subscription not included
If you want to level up your workouts without breaking the bank, the Schwinn IC4 is an excellent choice. This indoor spin bike comes with a range of mechanical and electric features, from full adjustability to an LCD console. All these give you greater freedom over your home workouts.
3. Keiser M3i Indoor Bike
The Keiser M3 range is one of the biggest names in the business — and its M3i model certainly lives up to this reputation. This indoor spin bike takes the M3 features we know and love but benefits from over ten years of refinement. Available as part of our ultimate bundle, it's an impressive all-in-one solution to your home workout needs.
The integrated console displays lots of information on one screen (cadence, power, kcals, heart rate, ride time, odometer, trip distance, and gear).
Although the showstopper is the M3i upright bike itself, this bundle also includes $500 worth of equipment: a bike mat, stretch pads, media tray, weights, and more!
- Measures 51" x 26" x 49"
- Very lightweight (92 lb)
- 8lb flywheel
- Adaptable V-shaped frame
- Infinite incremental resistance
- Keiser integrated technology with Bluetooth connectivity
- Zero maintenance poly-V belt drive
- Four-way adjustable seat and handlebars
- EN957-10 environmental certification
- Corrosion-resistant rear wheel
- Easy-to-use adjustment knobs
- Very lightweight and compact
- An integrated console
- Fully adjustable
- Bundle accessories value at $500
- Wheeled frame for easy moving
- Transmits to multiple Bluetooth devices at once
- Supports up to 350 lb
- More expensive than the IC3 and IC4
Fully adjustable and suitable for up to 350 lb, the Keiser M3i is the exercise bike that's fit for everybody. Its innovative features and smart computer console make this a genuinely high-tech model, while the variable resistance and 8lb flywheel recreate the authentic road bike experience.
Peloton needs no introduction! This indoor spin bike has taken the world by storm. If you're not sure whether it lives up to the hype, you're in the right place. Read on to see how Peloton compares to the IC3, IC4, Keiser M3i, and Nordic Track S22i.
Peloton has made its name by offering on-demand, digital workout classes that you can access via the Peloton app. Its original model is an upright bike that features an inbuilt touchscreen to display your workouts. With thousands of 5-star ratings, it's quickly become a cult choice for home fitness fanatics.
- Measures 59" x 23" x 53"
- Weighs 135 lb
- Powder-coated welded steel frame
- Poly-V power transmission belt drive
- Ergonomic center channel
- Delta-compatible aluminum pedals
- Magnetic resistance with mechanical adjustment
- 5-megapixel camera
- Built-in microphone
- USB port and headphone jack
- Bluetooth compatible
- Adjustable seat, handlebars, and screen
- 5-year warranty for the frame
- 1-year warranty for the electrical components
- Fully adjustable for the whole family
- Smooth and silent drive
- An in-built microphone and camera for an immersive workout experience
- Delivered fully assembled
- 30-day home trial
- Choice of live workouts and thousands of on-demand classes
- Industrial-grade bearings
- Lower weight limit than other models (297 lb)
Peloton's reputation is well-deserved, thanks to its ergonomic design, excellent connectivity, and range of live classes. If you've got a generous budget for your indoor spin bike, the Peloton bike will help you smash your fitness goals. That said, it's not as lightweight as other models on the market nor suitable for users of all shapes and sizes.
5. Nordic Track S22i
Promising a ‘world-class cycling experience,’ some might call the Nordic Track S22i a cheaper version of Peloton. But that description does this bike a disservice. Boasting a wide range of hardware (and software), this model is a strong contender for anyone who wants to boost their home workouts.
When you buy the Nordic Track S22i, you'll also receive a year's subscription to iFit, its workout video platform. The bike itself is fully adjustable and, thanks to its AutoBreeze workout fan, will put you through your paces without getting you too hot and bothered!
- Measures 63" x 22" x 60"
- Weighs 203 lb
- Silent magnetic resistance
- Dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity
- -10% to 20% incline
- 24 resistance levels
- 22" rotating smart screen with HD graphics
- Compatible with Google Maps
- 2 x amplified speakers
- Enhanced corrosion resistance
- 10-year frame warranty
- Google Maps compatibility takes your workouts all over the globe!
- Compatible with standard road bike pedals and seats
- 2 × 3 lb dumbbells included
- Great range of resistance levels and gradients
- Trainers can automatically adjust incline during workouts
- Smooth and silent drive
- An in-built fan keeps you cool
- Fewer live lessons than Peloton
If you're looking for a home workout bike that can make you feel like a jet-setter, the Nordic Track S22i could be the one for you! This innovative indoor spin bike is a little more affordable than Peloton but still offers a premium experience that will push you to reach your goals.
6. Bowflex C6
With the new C6 Exercise Bike from Bowflex, you can hop on and start cycling to a real-time video class from your favorite instructor with live commentary, music, and effects. You’ll find that this indoor bike is engineered for connection with Peloton and Zwift apps so you never miss out on any of what makes these uniquely engaging rides happen.
It’s smooth magnetic resistance takes care of shifting gears without interrupting your workout flow or requiring breaks in exercise intensity. Connectivity comes via Bluetooth so you gain access to all the great classes available in Zwift® or enjoy heart rate-based virtual zones created by Peloton instructors like Cat Fletcher or Ron Nicholes as you pedal.*
If you’ve been looking for a way to stay motivated and connect with others while working out, then the C6 Exercise Bike from Bowflex is your answer. This indoor bike has a sleek design that makes it great for any home or office space. The Bluetooth connectivity lets you easily link up with Zwift® or Peloton so there are always new classes available to keep things fresh and exciting.
Wondering which exercise bike is the right one for you? The answer will depend on your budget and workout style.
If you're looking for a fully adjustable bike that can comfortably accommodate the whole family — regardless of their height or weight — the Keiser M3i is a perfect choice. For a budget-friendly bike that's still Bluetooth compatible, try the IC3.
Whatever your preferences, you're sure to find something on this list that ticks the box. Why not saddle up, get ready, and check these bikes out for yourself?